Monday, January 17, 2011

I used to be a runner...

... then I graduated high school. Then I went to college. Then I started living college life. Then I stopped running all together. And now it's been three years. I used to run FIVE miles (at least) every.single.day. How? I have no idea. I've decided it's time to start running agian. Fortunately for good genes- thanks mom and dad- I have not become obese in these past three years, but I probably should have. So that is why it is time to start running agian. So yesterday my sister (whose motto is, "the faster you run, the faster you're done") and I ran four miles. Owww. Today, I'm scared I'll never be able to move again. My legs hate me right now.
See, the problem for me is not if I'll be able to finish, it's if I can start. Once I get in my mind how far I'm going to run (for example- the crazy idea of four miles yesterday), I can do it. I usually just can't start. But, I am not a wimp. And I can always give more. And I like running. I really do. It feels good to run. ...Right up until the time I stop. Then my legs shake and want to collapse and my stomach is turning. Ugh. But then, the runner's high. Oh boy, is that worth it. Whenever I ran in high shool, my dad would always tell us to think about the people who didn't even get out of bed. It didn't matter if we didn't do as well in a race as we should have, he would remind us of all those people who were still sleeping on those Saturday mornings. And so, I think I can. I can still be one of those people who gets out of bed and runs. Like I used to be.

Originally this post was gonna be about how I much I regretted running four yesterday, but turns out, I actually miss running. So, although this is quite the risk, especially putting it out here on the www, here's to becoming a runner again!


"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right."
-Henry Ford 

"Anybody can be a runner. We were meant to move. We were meant to run. It's the easiest sport."
-Bill Rodgers

Inspiration quotes for running. We used to be all about quotes like these in high school. I'm gonna need 'em now. The first one makes me think of Drew. The second one, just makes me think I really can do it. Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment