Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gas Stop

I think I got played yesterday.
On my way to Halls I had to stop in Powell for gas. Side note: I am ALWAYS out of gas. Always. As I was scrounging around for some money to put about half a gallon of gas in my car a man appeared outside my window. He went on about being "so embarrassed and out of gas and his mom in the hospital and blah blah can I have some money for gas, I only need like a five?" I looked at the $15 I was holding in my hand and handed him a five. He ran in and I followed him. It was suspicious. I really don't even know if he bought gas or not. Either way, does it matter? Gosh, I don't know. I don't think so. I don't like to assume that people are lying or using others or whatever.
But I just keep coming back to how we are called to "love the least of these..." (Matthew 25:40). And whatever we do for them, we do for Christ. And by entertaining strangers we may entertain angels and not even know (Hebrews 13:2). Now, I'm not saying necessarily that this guy was someone I'd consider one of the "least", he looked, based on his car, clothes, features, as if he was doing okay. But, you know stuff happens. Heck, I know ALL about running out of gas :) I'm also not saying he's an angel. But I guess I'm not saying he's not either. How am I supposed to know?
I guess what I AM saying is how many times do we pass up the opportunity to show others Christ's love by being too busy in our own lives? Too caught up in our own worlds? Too worried about what others will think? Too selfish with our money? Time? I don't know about y'all, but for me it is way more often than not. Everyday I ask God to set up divine appointments for me. Maybe this was one of them. So I just want to slow down. Take time. Love others. Isn't that what we are here to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment