Friday, February 11, 2011

The land of the free and the home of the brave!

While I was typing the title of today's post I had to hum the whole Star Spangled Banner just to remember which order the phrase went in. So don't worry Christina Aguilera, forgetting the words happens to the best of us...

Revolution in Egypt. Goodbye President Mubarak. As great as this is for Egyptians, it sure does make me glad I don't live there. True, they look so happy on TV and totally bonded together as a country, but gosh, I'm so thankful to live in the good ol' U.S.A. What a blessing that we live in a place that has already been fought for, a good place, where we are safe. Besides, we just had the Super Bowl to bind us together :) This is just such a fitting introduction, so allow me to make a smooth transition into the BIG NEWS OF THE DAY....

Tonight we are journeying to the home of:
  • My favorite cupcake TV show
  • The Lincoln Memorial 
  • Red, white, and blue
  • The Obama's
  • All the b-o-r-i-n-g stuff we learn about in my American Law class
  • The Pentagon 
  • The place where Lincoln was shot
  • Lots of war memorials
  • The Smithsonian
  • That tall, skinny, pointy white building (Think Forrest Gump... I can't believe I don't know what it's called...)
  • Newseum (I love news. Sounds like my kinda place!)
  • The White House
  • Holocaust Museam- As sad as it is, I heard this place is incredible
  • Many other very important and noteable places
  • AND the Nation's capitol- Holla!

That's right. We are headed to D.C. baybay!

This will be my first time in the city (a city that is not in any state? or is it a state itself? I'll never understand this place). Most of my friends went on the Safety Patrol in fifth grade. It was the totally rad thing to do back in the elementary school days. Little A.L. Lotts, however, musta been above and beyond the safety patrol (or had many more parents who insisted they be involved) because we didn't have it. Therefore, I will play the roll, amongst all the other tours of ten year olds we see, of a first time D.C.-er in our group. Don't worry peers, I'll lead us well! (And make sure we stop and look left, right, then left again, at every crosswalk).

 Here's an interesting side note: it's just girls going. I'm so thankful we won't have guys trying to tell us what to do. Girls gone wild in D.C.!!!! Totally kidding. Really. There are so many of us going. I'm really not sure the exact number, but people were buying tickets even up to last night!! Which leads me to my next interesting side note, we are taking a MegaBus. What the heck is it? I don't know. I imagine it like a glorified KAT bus. Apparently it's double decker and that little (or not so little) puppy is drivin' us through the night-10:30pm to 6:30am to be exact- to this wonderful nation's capitol (and it will do the same again on Sunday night). All for the round trip low price of $6! And it's not sketch at all!... as far as I know :)

This weekend is what I like to call, "so college." I am crazy pumped about the spontaneous-ness of it. And that we're just goin'! Not a whole lot of plans. B-e-a-utiful. I can SO clearly picture us years from now reminiscing about "...that time when we were 21 and we rode a MegaBus to D.C..." Good gravy I can't wait! Assuming that we don't get kidnapped by the MegaBus driver, or taken off the streets of Washington D.C. (that was all a joke, Mom. Definitely not happening) I will most certainly be updating y'all on all the sure to be super memorable moments of the trip asap.

Most definitely will be an epic weekend will be had by all. 
GET ME ON THAT MEGABUS!


No comments:

Post a Comment