Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kony 2012

I'm sure everyone has seen the Kony 2012 video by now. If not, you must be living under a rock, in which case I'm clueless as how you got to my blog... but sweet!
Anyway, this video is the most watched in the shortest amount of time ever... Or something like that. 

To recap, the organization Invisible Children is using social media to make this man, Kony, famous. Kony is the man responsible for kidnapping children and making them do horrible things, most notably become children soldiers. He's been doing this for 26 years and has yet to be stopped. Why? I don't really know. But from what I can gather, the world just doesn't really know, or doesn't really care. Hmm...
So this video's intent is to make Kony famous so he can't be ignored any longer. People have to start caring. The government has to be involved. Children have to be saved.

Of course, there are people speaking negatively about this tactic. I've recently learned there are always going to be people going against you when you try and do something good. Always.

So I'm saying I choose to side with the Kony 2012 movement.   

I choose to believe the best in people. Call it me being naive if you want. Maybe it's a curse? But anyway, I do. And I look at it as a blessing. So that is why I will not make this leap that some people have. They've turned Invisible Children and the Kony video into something bad. Are there two sides to every story? Yes, absolutely. But does that change the fact that there are people working the best they know how to fix a problem they see? No. At least they are trying to change the world. 
I can't figure out how bringing people together to care about something significant is a bad thing. Promoting knowledge about problems that need to be fixed can't be wrong. Unlike ever before people are unite over something and wanting to make it right. And Invisible Children (and all the people acting out-particularly through social media) are helping.
I'm glad they have not chosen to stay silent. I'm thankful there are people who see a problem in the world and do what they can to fix it.
We can't do anything apart from Jesus. But as people who claim to love Him and live as He did, we should be doing all we can to help the "least of these."
Which also leads me to the thought of what it would be like if we promoted and shared Jesus as much and as widely as and with as much enthusiasm to make Him famous as we've done with Kony...

Anyway, that's all the thoughts I have for now.

Knoy 2012. Let's make him famous. Let's get him stopped. 

1 comment: