Saturday, May 5, 2012

Did they say "Bubs?"

I get this a lot.
Bubs?
What the heck is that?
Well, friends, it's my nickname.
And I get asked all the time where it came from.
So here it goes...
It all started when I got placed on this awesome YL team (side note: wowwowwowwowwowwow we've changed so much). Anyway, those three boys in the back are the instigators of pet name.
I was so uncharacteristically (insert sarcasm here. and thumbs up for using such a long word.) super pumped and enthusiastic on a particular Saturday in general and adding in my additional excitement to meet my new team must have made me into some kind of crazy ball of energy.
Fortunately for me, rather than describing my personality as "over the top" or "annoying", they found it endearing and "bubbly." This could've been a much different post if they had gone with the first two adjectives...
So they spent that Saturday calling me "Bubbles."
Something is not right when the nickname is just as long as the given name, and one of these boys was quick to realize this and shortened "Bubbles" to just "Bubs."
And the rest is history.
I really have no idea how it stuck so firmly.
I guess those three guys have some kind of power that gets people to do what they want.
We went to Oregon on summer staff and "Bubs" was all I went by. And not because it was how I introducing myself.
These two jokesters took my nickname coast to coast
And from that summer on, that was it. I became known simply as "Bubs" to many people. In fact, one YL leader met my mom and she asked him if he knew me, Chelcie Crawford. He said no. But he knows me. We're friends. Real life, hang out, have each others phone number friends. He just didn't know my real name. Oh my.
But I love this nickname. For a couple reasons. First of all, everyone is required to love a nickname that actually sticks. Secondly, it's a compliment. Who doesn't want to be thought of as cheerful? And lastly, let's be honest, it's impossible to angrily say "Bubbles." I dare ya to try.

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO BLOGGIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment