Tuesday, August 23, 2011

25 is a long time...

Yesterday was my parent's 25th anniversary.

All I can think is, daggum. That's a looooong time to have a crush on somebody.

I try to say I'm still young, I'm only 21(!!). So of course I can't imagine liking someone that much for so long. BUT, my mom was 20 when she married my dad. So much for that reasoning...

I really am proud to call them my mom and dad. I'm proud to say they've been married for a fourth of a century. I'm proud to say they are still in love. And I'm proud of the job they've done in raising me and my brothers and sister.

My dad has shown me every day of his life (whether he realizes it or not) what kind of man I should be looking for to marry. Not just in the way he treats his own wife, but how he treats me. I'm think my parents are beginning to wonder if they've done too good a job at this and they won't ever have grandkids :) - Let's hope I'm mostly kidding here... My dad supports my mom in all she does. Not only does he have a job himself, but he also plays "Mr. Mom", taking us to school and practice and made my lunch every.single.day (what wouldn't I give to have that again?!- I just ate a handful of Peanut M&M's for lunch- yay college!). My dad had made sure none of us- his wife and all four kids- never had to do without. Anything. And I will be grateful for his love for as long as I live. My dad loves his wife so well. He encourages and love her. He is witty and creative in showing his love. And I adore it. I've found notes left around the house of "Reasons why I love you..." for my mom many times. I will be incredible lucky if I can find a man half as wonderful as my dad is to my mom. I am a Daddy's girl through and through.

My mom loves my dad too. She cooks yummy dinners for when he comes home from work. And buys sweet tea because he and I like it. She tells him when he's getting out of control and needs to take it down a few notches. I guess they balance each other out pretty well. Without her who knows where my dad would be??

My parents have taught me so well. I hope they are proud of how I've turned out. I feel like they've done a good job. I feel so blessed that they've demonstrated to me and my siblings what true love looks like and how a marriage should work, with Christ at the center. It's not always easy but it's worth it. It's always worth it.

Happy 25th anniversary to the 'rents!

No comments:

Post a Comment